Total Pageviews

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The Help



I have just finished watching a movie that is both heart breaking, eye opening and inspirational. The Help had me laughing, crying and in disbelief. Is this really how Negros were treated? Were maids expected to do everything for the home, including raising the children, yet not allowed to even use the restroom?

I'm very thankful my parents raised me to see equality in all races. None is better than another. I understand this book/movie was based on a different time and mindset, however, I am just mortified at how things were.

That said, there is a desire in me to treat others better. Because someone is getting paid to do something for me in no way means they are less of a person. Obviously, I don't have 'hired help' in my home, but I do interact with others who are paid for providing a service...the cashier at Wal-Mart, the waitress, the Post Master, the shoe salesman, the kid handing me my Big Mac. Instead of paying, getting my change and offering a quick 'thanks' on my way out, I'm going to make a point to ask how their day is, a point to look them in the eye and say 'thank you', and mean it!

I'm inspired to speak up when I see something not right. Not just look away and hope someone else will step in. "Change begins with a whisper".

For those of you who have read the book/seen the movie, I will never look at chocolate pie the same, and probably never be able to eat it without getting the giggles.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment