Total Pageviews

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Where were you?

"Where were you when the world stopped turning?" This song by Alan Jackson, 10 years later, still brings a sadness to my heart.

There are dates in our lives that will always be etched into our minds: the day we are married, the day our children were born, the day the first men walked on the moon, September 11, 2001.

I was sitting in my chair, drinking a cup of coffee and talking to a dear friend while we both watched Good Morning America. I'll never forget the feeling of unbelief as I watched so many people die.

My oldest step-daughter was getting married that day and we had a whole morning of pampering planned, but none of it happened. The wedding took place, but for me, there was a damper on it.

I called my younger brother, who is in the National Guard, and cried.

I waited in line for what seemed like an ridiculous amount of time to get very expensive gas.

Papa Bear and I took Little Bear with us to Aldi and bought two shopping carts piled full of items.

My view on my security has changed since that day. I no longer believe we are safe. I know at anytime, we could be the next target. I've studied survival skills and how we would live without modern conviniances.

102 minutes, 10 years ago. Where were you?

No comments:

Post a Comment