Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Bean and Bacon Soup

.



After my burnt bacon fiasco of the other day, can you believe I actually used bacon again already? I'm safe there though as I don't have to fry it for this tasty recipe.

I love a good ham and bean soup. Problem is, I have tried to make many recipes only to have them be not quite what I was looking for. I put a request out on a recipe site I'm on with Face Book and was pleased to get a reply. I didn't quite use the recipe exactly, the following is what I ended up with. You will notice I used bacon instead of a ham hock, mainly because I didn't have one.

2 C. dry navy beans (could use Northern beans)
6 C. water
Water for soaking
2 carrots finely chopped
1 C. celery finely chopped (about 2 stalks)
1 onion chopped
2 potatoes diced small
4 chicken bouillon cubes
1/2 package maple flavored bacon cut into small pieces
1 T. Nature's Seasoning salt

Sort and wash beans. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let stand covered for 1 hour. Drain.

Place all ingredients in a 5 qt. crock pot. Cover and cook on high 4-5 hours. Mash about 1 C of beans if soup seems a bit thin.

I ended up putting this in a pot on the stove at about 4 hours as I was hungry! I brought it to a boil and then simmered it for about 1/2 hour. I did need to add extra water.

I will be trying this out again just to make sure it wasn't a fluke, but if all goes well, this will be my new bean soup recipe! I'm also thinking I'll be making a huge pot of this and canning it to put in the pantry.

This is a very inexpensive, frugal meal.

*FYI...do not eat this if you are going to be in a crowd later on.

No comments:

Post a Comment