Total Pageviews

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Chicken Rice Soup recipe

I made such a yummy soup last night, I just had to come on here and share it will all of you. It started all because I had one lonely little chicken breast in the fridge needing to be used up for supper. I cruised around some of my favorite recipe sites for ideas. What follows is what I finally came up with.

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 medium carrots, cut into thin slices
2 celery ribs, sliced
1/4 teaspoon thyme
2 quarts chicken stock or broth
2 cups white rice
1 chicken breast

Cut the chicken breast into smaller pieces (bigger than bite-size). Put this into pot containing 2 quarts water and 10 chicken bouillon cubes (this makes the broth called for). Cover and bring to boil, continuing boiling about 8 minutes). While this is cooking, place another pot over medium heat and add the olive oil. Add the onion, carrots, celery, and thyme. Cook and stir for about 6 minutes, until the vegetables are softened but not browned.

Remove chicken pieces to cool. Add vegetables to the broth, bringing it back to a boil. Chop chicken into smaller pieces and add back to broth. Add 2 cups white rice to broth, cover, remove from heat and let set 5 minutes or until rice has finished cooking. Stir well and enjoy!

*I did let this sit a bit before eating and found I needed to had 1 cup of water to it as it had thickened quite a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment