Total Pageviews

Saturday, June 6, 2009

My thinking spot


Running on the outskirts of my little town is the Hennepin Canal. I grew up learning about the canal from my grandpa. I spent summers swimming it its dirty stinky water. Smooching happened by the old shed at Lock 19 as a teenager. I grew up having a great love and respect for the canal. When I was newly married to my oldest son's father, we were so poor we didn't have two nickles to rub together, but we spent many nights fishing the canals muddy waters. Free entertainment. Even took a cob of corn from the nearby field for carp bait. Good times, good memories.

This spot on the canal that is pictured is at the end stairs of Lock 20. It's a peaceful walk to get there. Through the years, if I needed to get away, or to think, or to just 'be', this is where I would go. Just me and the bugs, the fish, the sound of the Lock, and God.

I spent time at my spot today. I've been troubled by a situation and I needed some direction. As I sat having a conversation with God, I told him that I didn't know if this feeling I have to give up this situation was what He wanted me to do, or if it was just Satan being his naughty self and trying to sway me. As I sat there listening to the water and feeling the warm breeze, my eye caught some movement on the water. A snake. I sat there on the steps watching this snake slither through the water. A snake....satan is a snake. My questions were answered.

No comments:

Post a Comment