Total Pageviews

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Time for Boy Scout camp



The end of June is upon us and that means one thing, it's time for Boy Scout Summer Camp! I look forward to taking my Scouts down every year. It's a week of living in the timber. We are a 'jamboree' troop, meaning we cook all our own food instead of going to the dining hall. This year I'm taking four new boys...fresh meat LOL! They've actually only been on two campouts so far, so summer camp is going to be a great experience for them. Ingersoll Scout Reservation in London Mills, IL is our camp of choice. It's over 1000 acres of timber, hiking, fishing, swimming, climbing, shooting....you get the idea.

This year is my 8th year at ISR. Over these years I've had the pleasure of meeting many great Scouts and Scouters (adult leaders). Most of us camping this week go this same time every year so it's like a big reunion for us all.

One of the perks of going to camp for so many years is getting to know the staff. They are a great group people who endure far more than I could dealing with 11-18 year old boys for six weeks straight. Last year we were not able to have 'our' site as our Troop is too small. This year I...uummm...bribed the powers that be to ensure our site back. I'm taking down homemade cookies to all the staff! Anyone want to come help me make about 20 dozen cookies Saturday?

So, Dear Friends, I will me missing for the next week. Papa Bear will be holding down the fort. I look forward to sharing pictures and stories when I get back.

No comments:

Post a Comment