Total Pageviews

Friday, March 16, 2012

The corner station

When I was a little girl, my little town had a corner full service filling station. Full service meant not only filling up the gas tank, but also cleaning the windows, checking under the hood, putting air in the tires and asking about your day~and waiting for the answer. They also did repairs in the garage.

As kids, it was a great treat to take 3 dimes in and get a bottle of soda. It was also fun to jump on the hose run across the drive to make the bell ding.

When I was in 8th grade I had a huge crush on the high school boy working there. I would get lots of sodas each day just to see him. *sigh*

I understand progress is needed in order for small towns to thrive and grow. That old corner filling station has been gone for many many years. In fact, only the garage part of it is still standing and it is now used for private storage. I just wish progress didn't have to mean getting rid of the very things that make a small town quaint and homey.

In my own little world, my town would still have the filling station, and the barber shop for all the men to sit and tell their stories. There would be a grocery store with a butcher to cut your meat and bag boys to not only bag up your items, but to also carry them out and put them in your car.

The bank would be locally owned. Main Street would be a bustle of activity on Saturday mornings. Kids would be out riding their bikes and playing ball on the diamond and using their imaginations to keep busy all day.

Parents would sit on the front porch to watch the children play in the evening. Neighbors would visit with neighbors.

You all might as well go on with the rest of your day, I think I'm gonna stay here in my own little world in my own little town with a bottle of soda from the filling station where that cute high school boy works.

No comments:

Post a Comment